Monday, February 16, 2015

Chocolate Pavarotti with Wicked Good Ganache (Valentine's Day)

February 16, 2015


Since we did beta testing for The Baking Bible, this Pavarotti cake has been one of three easy, go-to cakes that I rely on for when I need a quick dessert.  This cake is not technically a Quick & Easy, but in reality, it's both.  And, as I discovered this time, if the cake breaks in half (as it did when I was flipping it between cooling racks), there's no harm done:  you just put the cake parts together as best you can and cover them with ganache.  Not only can you not detect it when you're looking at the frosted cake (unless you're looking for it), but you can't even detect it when you're serving it.  Especially if you do your best to cut the slices from the more or less intact pieces.


Maybe it's not technically Quick and Easy because you have to melt some white chocolate to mix in the batter?  Its purpose is "higher rise and moister, melt-in-the-mouth texture."  It delivers what it promises.  And it's not a difficult step.


Nice, rich, delicious-looking chocolate batter, yes?


I suppose I might as well show you the damage:  the cake's in two large pieces, the smaller one intact, but the larger one damaged, with big gouges in several places.  I was able to fit the two big pieces together pretty neatly, despite the large crack, which was just filled in with some extra ganache.  Woody said putting ganache on a cake was like working with cement.  This seemed more like grouting tile.  Neither of these chores is something I normally do.


Now about the wicked good ganache.  Aside from its spackling qualities, it's also delicious.  However, I live in Minnesota, a place that is widely known for its inhabitants' aversion to spice.  Especially to spice that might be considered "hot."  So when Rose gives a range of cayenne from 1/4 teaspoon to 3/4 teaspoons, I think about my audience, and I use 1/8 teaspoon.  I made my grandson cry.  He tucked into the chocolate and then started yelling, "too hot, too hot!  I need milkie!"  But once he understood that the big burn came from the frosting and not the cake, he happily ate the cake.  His mother said, "I think cayenne in frosting is just weird.  I'll have some cake without the ganache."


But the women for whom I actually baked the cake--Minnesotans all--not only ate it without complaining about the spiciness or demanding a glass of milk--they actually asked for the recipe.




17 comments:

  1. LOL! Your grandson is so cute! If you hadn't shown us the cake before you cement, I mean frosted, I won't have known. Actually when i decorate cakes, I also use ganache to glue some cakes scrapes to some sides that i want in that particular shape. :) Not sure about cement or grouting tiles... DIY stuff is not common here... my husband can't even saw my wooden stick into 2 straight! 1/8 tsp is really like nothing... I was so happy when i put in 3/4 tsp and so spicy and good. But later with the cake, it was like nothing... :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing all these great pictures makes me want to bake this cake again! I was afraid it was going to break when I flipped it and then noticed my hand print in the top when I flipped it back over. It was so moist and springy it was hard not to eat it right then. I had no idea about Minnesotans not liking spicy things. Swedish population? That explains my son in law's family which is so opposite from ours. They don't even like black pepper. At least your grandson was smart enough to ask for milk. Water would have made it worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turned out really nice, crack and all. The ganache does remind me of cement too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too hot, too hot, I need a glass of milkie! That's got a big smile out of me. Very funny. Where I live, 1/2 tsp of cayenne doesn't phase anyone, not even the children I gave it to. Didn't make mention of it at all. I had to ask if it was too spicy. They shrugged and said plainly, no. Anyway Marie, baking is fun and your ganache looks luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor JJ! I feel bad for him but also laughed at the quotes. It's always so funny to hear JJ's comments. Your cake looks beautiful Marie with the ganache swirls. I don't know about cementing but applying ganache is a whole lot more fun than grouting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie: poor little guy!! I like the look of that cake with the raspberries. Don't you just love the way icing covers up everything?! I do like the cake but not sure it's a favorite, although I will say it went together easily and quickly. The ganache is fantastic, however!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Frosting does cover a multitude of sins, to be sure! JJ is adorable, but hopefully this won't make him think all chocolate frosting is too hot! Your melted white chocolate looks so creamy and luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ב''ה

    Cake splitting in half Déjà vu? Raspberries seem a good match for Cayenne. I made all my kids taste the ganache. Builds character, I say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Frosting is the answer to all of the cake's oopsy moments. Like Faithy said, if you had not showed us the evidence, we all be in the dark. And I totally believe that we are all falling in love with your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family and I absolutely love this cake, I love how it melt in the mouth, and that it wasn't overpowering sweet. I must admit that i was very happy for the addition of the Cayenne to the ganache since we all love spicy food here, so I cheated and added more than the highest amount that recommended... We also agreed that it will be the cake to make for my wedding.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah yes, ganache makes the best cement for damaged cakes, with mousseline buttercream being a close second.

    My daughter also called the ganache "weird", followed by, "chocolate is supposed to taste like chocolate".

    Patricia @ ButterYum
    http://www.butteryum.org/roses-alpha-bakers/2015/1/29/tbb-chocolate-pavarotti-with-wicked-good-ganache

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine split too but the ganache is a wonderful cover for it and not that hard to put on. Sounds like Minnesota doesn't have a lot of South East Asian cuisine on offer then?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous! Your ganache is so light and creamy looking...jealous. Mine was yummy, but hardened very fast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice cover-up, Marie :) Nice texture, btw. Loved the raspberries on top.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice cover-up, Marie :) Nice texture, btw. Loved the raspberries on top.

    ReplyDelete